Roads and vehicles are an everyday part of life for all of us. Either as a driver, a passenger, or as a pedestrian,we all must negotiate the road traffic environment on a daily basis.
Children are especially vulnerable around vehicles and roads due to their size and capabilities.
Be aware of the opportunities to teach children to become safer road-users.
- Walk down to the local shop for groceries or the newspaper with your children when you can.
- Park the car and walk around to the sports ground, on the way explaining the observations and choices you make to get there safely.
- Talk about the importance of wearing seat belts and insist that everyone in the vehicle wears appropriate restraints for their age and size.
- Point out rules of the road when driving.
- Always demonstrate responsible and safe behaviors when driving, as a passenger or while walking anywhere around vehicles and roads.
- Remember children learn good habits by modelling behavior from adults.